EVENT: Improving patients’ rights in the age of the Cross Border Healthcare Directive
Friday 4 March 2016 – Rome (Italy)
Active Citizenship Network, European branch on the Italian NGO of Cittadinanzattiva, is participating at the European project “From Citizen Involvement to Policy Impact (U-Impact)” supported by the Europe for Citizens Programme of the European Union.
The project coordinates citizen involvement with the public authorities on national and European level in nine European countries (Albania, Belgium, Cyprus, France, Estonia, Italy, Romania, Spain) in order to increase the impact of citizen initiatives on the policy making process in the European Union. In this context ACN will organize a conference in Rome in the first half of 2016 on the topic of “Improving EU Citizens’ Rights in the European Union”. As the topic is very broad, Active Citizenship Network will focus on one of its expertise: strengthening and protecting patients’ rights, as it is officially recognized by the EU Commission-DG SANTE in the EU Health Policy Forum as European stakeholder in the fields of public health and healthcare.
The aims of the initiative
- Promote a constructive debate on a crucial achievement for European citizens and patients, the Directive on patients’ rights in cross-border healthcare, as well as on the current state of its implementation throughout Europe. The fact that the Directive title contains the words “patients’ rights” demonstrates that this normative highlights the relation between citizens/patients and healthcare systems.
- Discuss concrete actions in order to facilitate access to better and safer care for patients in the EU.
- Raise awareness through examples of a “grass-root” participation, how civic organizations can play an active role in the European policy making in the field of patients’ rights.
- Presentation of the overview research “ The Respect of Patients’ Rights: a civic assessment at the EU Level”
- Successful civic experience: from the local Charter of patients’ rights to the Interest Group at the EU Parliament “European Patients’ Rights and Cross-Border Healthcare”
- Ten benefits the EU brings to patients
- The new challenge: the patients’ right in the framework of cross border healthcare
- A call to action: communication campaign on patients’ rights all around Europe