EVENT: Antimicrobial Resistance, Prevention and not just treatment
Tuesday 17 November 2015, 15.00 – 17.00
Renaissance Hotel, Rue du Parnasse 19, 1050 Brussels
The EP Interest Group on Innovation in Health and Social Care with Co-chairs:
MARIAN HARKIN (ALDE, IE)
KARIN KADENBACH (S&D, AT)
KAY SWINBURNE (ECR, UK)
CRISTIAN SILVIU BUSOI (EPP, RO)
Over 25,000 patients die annually in the EU as a result of infections caused by resistant bacteria. The European Parliament, the World Health Organization and the European Commission have all recognised that antimicrobial resistance is a growing public health threat. As the Commission begins its evaluation of the Antimicrobial Resistance Action Plan, and in the context of European Antibiotic Awareness Day, this roundtable event will bring key stakeholders together to discuss:
- What is the current situation of AMR in Europe and beyond?
- How can the implementation of best practice examples in Europe be achieved?
- What is missing in the current approaches and how can stakeholders work together to better combat AMR?
- Renate Sommer (EPP, DE)
- Amanda Massey, Executive Director, Health First Europe
- Dominique Monnet, Head of Programme Antimicrobial resistance and healthcare associated infections, European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control
- Herman Goossens, Professor of Microbiology, University of Antwerp
- Stéphane Vandam, Public Health Officer, World Health Organization
Please rsvp to firstname.lastname@example.org by 16 November.